# Thursday, November 29, 2007

I found out why I couldn't install MSN Messenger on my tweaked Vista installation, seems like I haven't managed to move the WinSxS folder properly and thus there are problems when I'm trying to install shit. And the only shit I tried to install was Messenger.

Oh well... back to the drawing board, better test it out on a Virtual PC instead of waste my eeePC's SSD lifespan just going through installation again and again and again...


Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:03:13 AM (Malay Peninsula Standard Time, UTC+08:00)  #    Comments [0]  | 
# Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I was deploying an ASP.Net 2.0 web application yesterday, after copying all the files in I browsed to the site and I got an error telling me that one of my handlers couldn't be found.

I immediately assumed that there was an error with the permissions of the Network Service user that was being used to run the website. Totally forgetting that if the Network Service user couldn't compile to the temporary ASP.NET folder the error would be an access denied writing to temporary folder.

After spending TOO MUCH time trying to figure out the permissions, my Project Manager came to me and asked me what was taking so long. I told him that there was something wrong with the service permissions and that the compiler was acting as if the files weren't there. My PM asked the question "Are you sure the files are there?" I replied affirmatively since I was sure I saw that there were files in the web folder, so I decided to show him and browsed to the web site's APP_CODE folder, it was EMPTY....

I did a quick check on all the other folders and sure enough... ALL THE .VB CODE BEHIND FILES WERE GONE!!!! Some how the fact that I right clicked dragged the ZIP file containing the web files from a network share and then directly extracting it using the built in Compressed Folders handler of Windows 2003 cause all the VB files to NOT be extracted.

Copying the ZIP file to the web server first and then extracting it from there solved the problem.

So I learnt to ALWAYS CHECK THE OBVIOUS LESS WORK INTENSIVE REASONS FIRST BEFORE ANY OTHER SOLUTIONS when something bad happens. But still a few questions exists... namely Why the heck were the files removed in the first place? It wasn't the antivirus cause it didn't log any deletes, then I repeated the same action on a similarly configured Win2k3 server but the VB files weren't deleted.

Weird.....


Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:01:57 AM (Malay Peninsula Standard Time, UTC+08:00)  #    Comments [1]  | 
# Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Quick update, so, the 3rd try for getting Windows Vista into the eeePC went pretty well. All devices were working, the WinSxS folder was moved completely.

Everything looked fine until I tried to install Windows Live Messenger, and it spat out an error about being unable to register the assembly MSVC80 or something like that, gonna have to take a look at this tonight


Tuesday, November 27, 2007 3:23:09 PM (Malay Peninsula Standard Time, UTC+08:00)  #    Comments [0]  | 
# Monday, November 26, 2007

Strangely, the volume control buttons don't work. When I press them the little applet comes up telling me that the volume has been changed, but nothing actually happens... Wonder if it's because I didn't install the audio driver, cause that was the ONLY driver that Vista installed on it's own without me having to use whatever was on the disc.


Monday, November 26, 2007 9:45:15 AM (Malay Peninsula Standard Time, UTC+08:00)  #    Comments [0]  | 

So... Vista it is then. First thing was to cut down on the installation beef with VLite, optional stuff like movie maker.. calculator... the shitload of preloaded drivers. One thing which I couldn't cut out was the chinese language files, if I'm not mistaken both Simplified and Traditional EACH took up about 340MB.

First Try!

Accidentally removed the Aero UI theme... didn't realized it was tied to the Aero Glass feature. :P But.. everything else worked fine, all drivers went in, no unknown devices left in Device Manager. Followed the instructions provided by Paul over at Modaco to try and move the WinSxS folder to my puny 2GB SD card, but somehow I had 109MB of files left over which I can't delete from the hard drive.

On a side note, if the webcam is disabled in BIOS, Windows doesn't see it, yet the default Xandros could.. must be some other way that it communicates with it.

2nd Try!

Ok.. got Aero in this time, but I accidentally left out Windows Image Acqusation... so the WEBCAM drivers didn't work! Shit!!! Haven't done the WinSxS move this time. Tested out video playback.. well.. it works, but no miracles on the H.264 side.. the processor just can't make it. I'm not even gonna try moving the WinSxS folders this time.

OK.. 3rd time is probably the charm.. making the image is a painful and time consuming task...

On a side note... things to get.. 4GB or 8GB SDHC card... 1GB of RAM (Although this probably isn't necessary but it more RAM would cut down on the page file swaps and less load on the SSDs)


Monday, November 26, 2007 12:53:48 AM (Malay Peninsula Standard Time, UTC+08:00)  #    Comments [0]  |